Free Call: 0800 321 3805

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What electrical qualifications do SOR electricians have?

SOR Electrical’s fully qualified commercial and domestic electricians are NICEIC-registered and City and Guilds qualified and hold the 17th edition Wiring Regulations certificate and installation work is NICEIC certified upon completion.

2. Can SOR Electrical also help with lighting design?

SOR Electrical has an in-house specialist design team and we are able to offer a complete one-stop electrical service from lighting design plans right through to installations, maintenance and fault finding.

3. Do landlords’ need an Electrical Certificate?

Although there is currently no specific law that says landlords’ must have a ‘Landlord Electrical Certificate’, you do have a legal obligation and a duty of care to tenants to ensure that the electrical installation and the electrical equipment supplied is safe. If any electrical fittings or appliances within your rental property cause harm to a tenant YOU COULD BE HELD LIABLE under the Consumer protection Act 1987 by not complying with The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations which have been mandatory since 1st January 1997.

4. How often do landlord’s need to have an Electrical Inspection done?

SOR Electrical recommends that a Periodic Electric Inspection be done by one of our qualified electricians at the start of any tenancy and/or every 2 years to ensure due diligence, and compliance with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations.

5. Why do landlords need a PAT or Portable Appliance Testing certificate?

To ensure the safety of tenants, the law says that landlords should supply electrical appliances that meet essential safety requirements, are in good condition and comply with the latest British standards. It’s therefore advisable to have all electrical appliances checked on a regular basis by a qualified electrician, and obtain documentation to confirm that this has been done.

6. What electrical appliances are included in Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)?

A portable or movable electric appliance is any item that can be moved, and either connected or disconnected from an electrical supply. Portable or movable items generally have a lead (cable) and a plug. Portable and movable equipment can therefore include most movable appliances from kettles, toasters, vacuum cleaners, irons, fan heaters through to washing machines, fridges, tumble dryers and electric cookers.

7. How often should PAT testing be done?

Although the law does not state how often PAT testing needs to be done, SOR Electrical suggests at least every 1-2 years to ensure that you are meeting your legal obligations to maintain high standards of electrical safety in your rented property.

8. Can SOR Electrical install chandeliers in my home?

SOR Electrical specialises in chandeliers, and have installed many in all sorts of different shapes and sizes, not to mention unique built in lighting that has been designed by the client themselves. Our design team can also give professional input into developing overall lighting plans for your entire property, renovation or loft conversion.

9. Can SOR Electrical help with re-wiring my entire property?

Yes, re-wiring is a good idea for safety and flexibility especially with period properties that haven’t been updated for a while. Modern electrical regulations are a lot safer than previous standards and it’s unlikely that a wiring job done, say thirty years ago, will have enough sockets to satisfy the amount of devices in use around the house today. Lighting has got more sophisticated too, with fewer people happy to rely on just a central light fitting in the ceiling in each room.

10. I’m converting my loft; do I need an Electrical Certificate?

Most people are often not aware that that their loft conversion’s electrical installation must be designed, installed, tested and certified to BS 7671 standards by a qualified electrician in compliance with Approved Document P of the Building Regulations. The installation, testing and certification of your loft’s electrics can be done by one of SOR Electrical’s qualified electricians who will provide you with a BS 7671 compliant electrical installation certificate which must be forwarded to the Building Control surveyor for approval so the Building Control completion certificate can be issued.

For competitive rates and a no obligation quote please contact leaving your name and number, or call us free on 0800 321 3805.

Request a call back

Call: 0800 321 3805/0208 935 5199 | Email: